Scdetect-cc: a cross-correlation earthquake detection module for SeisComP

Dear Forum,

on behalf of the Swiss Seismological Service (SED @ ETH Zuerich) I’d like to announce the first release of an open-source SeisComP module for real-time and offline (playback) earthquake detection based on waveform cross-correlation - scdetect-cc.

This is a free software and it is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY. That said, we would like to have feedback from the community, especially from users who have experience with earthquake detection based on waveform cross-correlation.

If you are interested in this project please refer to the scdetect GitHub repository for the code. User documentation is available at RTD. Please use the project page for asking questions, reporting issues, and providing feedback and pull requests.

I would like to thank the forum for always helping out with issues and especially JaBe and Luca (@luca.scarabello) for their clarifications on SeisComP code internals. Besides, I’d like to thank Maria (@mmesim) for her time she spend on testing the first release of the module.

Daniel

2 Likes

Dear Daniel,

I hope you are aware of the fact that “an open-source SeisComP module for
real-time and offline (playback) earthquake detection based on waveform
cross-correlation” has already been existing since 2016?

J. Seismol. (2016)
DOI 10.1007/s10950-016-9597-1
Real-time envelope cross-correlation detector: application
to induced seismicity in the Insheim and Landau deep
geothermal reservoirs
Margarete Vasterling · Ulrich Wegler ·
Jan Becker · Andrea Brüstle · Monika Bischoff

We are currently using this detector for monitoring induced
seismicity and it works nice.

Best regards,
Uli

Dear Uli,

yes I’m aware that there are both magsdetector and ccloc already available for SeisComP. Though, after working with the modules SED decided to implement scdetect-cc. Note that compared to the modules mentioned abovescdetect-cc implements a slightly different approach when it comes to phase association.

Since scdetect-cc is open-source it would be nice if you could give it a try. Feedback is always welcome.

Daniel

At SED we carefully evaluated that code and while it works well and it is a great tool, we needed to go a little bit further with respect to flexibility, configuration options and performance. Those requirements required a full rethinking of the code design and that’s why we have now scdetect.

Cool that there is another integrated SeisComP module. That effort explains all the detailed questions and PRs @damb :wink:. Do you want it to be included in the SeisComP documentation under addons?

This seems to be a good idea. Do you want me to provide another PR :wink: ?

Please go ahead …