SeisComP 5.0.0

Dear SeisComP community,

We are happy to finally provide you with the second major SeisComP release version 5.

In contrast to the major release of version 4 this version does not introduce breaking changes. As announced with SeisComP 4.x a new major version will be released when at least the binary compatibility of libraries cannot be guaranteed. This is the case right now. You can continue using your operational database and you can continue using your configuration. A migration to schema 0.12 is required though.

One exception: the VS (virtual seismologist) modules have been removed from the distribution and will be shipped as part of the SED EEW addon, available as source at https://github.com/SED-EEW/SED-EEW-SeisComP-contributions and as pre-compiled package at Index of /packages/Public/sed-eew/.

Changes are summarized at Release 5.0.0 · SeisComP/seiscomp · GitHub. Packages to download will be available at SeisComP seismological software and Index of /packages/Public/seiscomp/5/.

We hope you will benefit from our developments and enjoy the new features. Thank you for supporting us in advancing SeisComP!

Have fun,
Jan on behalf of the SeisComP development team

2 Likes

Dear Jan and Seiscomp dev team,
Thanks for this new version.

I just try to upgrade a dedicated machine from 4.X.X to 5.0.0.

I encountered this error while upgrading the database scheme :

mysql -u sysop -h localhost -p seiscomp3 < /home/sysop/seiscomp/share/db/migrations/mysql/0_11_to_0_12.sql
Enter password:

Add Origin.confidenceLevel
ERROR 1118 (42000) at line 2: Row size too large. The maximum row size for the used table type, not counting BLOBs, is 8126. This includes storage overhead, check the manual. You have to change some columns to TEXT or BLOBs

Regards

Mickael.

Which MYSQL/MariaDB version are you using? We have tested that on several operating systems and it worked. It seems to be a limitation of the innodb storage engine of MYSQL.

mariadb Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.5.15-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using EditLine wrapper

50-server.cnf:innodb_buffer_pool_size = 64M

It is under Debian 11

This may be related no so much to software version, but database format version (if you upgraded from older MariaDB or MySQL) and specific configuration.

There are some potential solutions on MariaDB website: https://mariadb.com/kb/en/troubleshooting-row-size-too-large-errors-with-innodb/

Hi Andres,
Yes my database structure is quite old (since 2013). I have looking and the tables are in compact config.

But I am not very fluent in DB management…it will takes me a long time to change the tables types from compact to dynamic…

Let you know when it is finished.

Regards
Mickael.

Hi Andres,

The issue was the one you pointed. I have RowFormat from compact to dynamics and then the upgrade of the scheme works.

Thanks !

Mickael.

Great news to see SeisComP 5 release, and move to Python 3. Thanks for all the hard work :+1:

Will you be adding a build for the recently released RHEL 9 for SeisComP 5.x in the future?

I am interested to see if the dependencies will be much different to RHEL 8.

Actually, we have moved to Python 3 already with SeisComP version 4.0.0 but now we are dropping maintenance support for Python 2.

gempa will provide software packages [1] for RHEL 9 after RockyLinux has been released in this version.

[1] Index of /packages/Public/seiscomp/

good day, seiscomp community.
I am using seiscomp5 version…
scrttv & scolv work
Screenshot from 2022-06-24 12-08-48
but :
scmv shows black triangles (confgs. connected correctly)…
scqcv is not working.
by the way, can you give any details about created difference between sc4 and sc5???

scmv shows black triangles (confgs. connected correctly)…

After upgrading to 5.0 the triangles turned black? Check the logs or run with --debug.

scqcv is not working.

What exactly is not working?

can you give any details about created difference between sc4 and sc5???

You might want to open the link I have posted with the changes. Furthermore you might want to read gempa GmbH - SeisComP released in version 5.0.0.

You might have noticed that we are not able to solve issues if there are reports like “something is not working, please help”. Please be specific as possible and provide all information you have that could help us to solve the issue. Although I am trying hard to get my crystal ball working I am not yet there.

From the screenshot I see that the configuration of DetecLocid and detecStream are inverted. DetecLocid should be 00 and detecStream BHZ.

thank you mr. Becker, for your hard global work…
I can get add. info. from the link, which you mentioned…

you are right, mr Boussoufa , changing inverted config gave correct result…

hello all seiscomp comunity,
I am have same issued with nqnr,

i am using sc5, but I have a problem with scrttv, and scmv is not working. The real-time trace view is not shown, and the map view is black (but if the station is blinking, SCMV can show the traceview ). I am already config the seedlink, and I checked with slinktool. Seedlink server is giving me a response. I am attaching a picture of the configuration. Maybe all community can give me the solution,

thank you very much

issued_3

You are missing global station bindings, see Configure real-time processing — SeisComP Release documentation or Configuration — SeisComP Release documentation.

thank you mr. jabe, i think already configuration global binding like this attachment,
but i will try to configuration again.

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 12.57.49

You can check the bindings in effect with:

scdumpcfg scrttv -BG -H localhost

Maybe you have forgotten to run

seiscomp update-config

?

many thanks mr. jabe,
i am checking the scrttv with your suggestion,
but scrttv not shown the stream, i am running the scrttv --debug and scmv --debug, no error found information, the stream is selected.

It reads adding 0 streams which means that no rows has been added. Is channel BHZ present in all your stations in inventory and are the epochs still valid (no end time)?

scinv ls --level=cha

might help in that regard.